¿ªÔÆÌåÓý

¿ªÔÆÌåÓý is independent, community-supported media, serving Vermont with trusted, relevant and essential information. We share stories that bring people together, from every corner of our region. New to ¿ªÔÆÌåÓý? Start here.

© 2025 ¿ªÔÆÌåÓý | 365 Troy Ave. Colchester, VT 05446

Public Files:
· · · ·
· · · ·
· · · ·
· ·

For assistance accessing our public files, please contact [email protected] or call 802-655-9451.
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Vermont is still waiting on federal relief from summer flooding

From above, a green-roofed house is scattered across grass, with a muddy river running alongside it.
Kyle Ambusk
/
¿ªÔÆÌåÓý
A washed-out house on Brook Road in Lyndon around 7 p.m. on July 30, 2024.

Gov. Phil Scott says he expects to hear soon whether the state will qualify for federal aid to help pay for storm damage from the remnants of Hurricane Beryl. The storm hit parts of central and northern Vermont with catastrophic flooding in early July, causing an estimated $15 million in damage to roads and public infrastructure.

“We did reach out to the White House to see if there’s anything we should know,� Scott said at a . “They reported back that we should hear something very soon. I think that’s good news.�

A major disaster declaration from the Federal Emergency Management Agency would allow the federal government to reimburse three-quarters of state and local government expenses from storm recovery, and could unlock cash assistance for homeowners and renters. Although for some Vermonters impacted by floods last year, individual assistance has been shockingly difficult to come by.

The state is still in the process of requesting assistance for flood damage in Stowe at the end of June, after rains overwhelmed culverts and washed out roads. State officials said they received an extension from FEMA to collect more data to see if the town reached a certain threshold of damage.

More from ¿ªÔÆÌåÓý: For some Vermont flood survivors, FEMA was the second major disaster last year

State workers are also still analyzing data collected by FEMA from the damage wrought by a storm in the Northeast Kingdom counties of Caledonia, Essex and Orleans in the last two days of July. Shortly after the storm, officials had tallied over $6 million in damage to public infrastructure.

The governor had not yet submitted a major disaster declaration request to the president for that storm as of Wednesday afternoon.

Have questions, comments or tips? .

Lexi covers science and health stories for ¿ªÔÆÌåÓý. Email Lexi.

Have questions, comments or tips? Send us a message.

Loading...


Latest Stories