As Sunday draws to a close in Kyiv and in Moscow, here are the key developments of the day:
A the faltering invasion of Ukraine, a U.S. official has told NPR. Alexander Dvornikov, 60, was previously in charge of the southern section of the war. It comes as Russia is expected to open a new offensive in the country's east after pulling forces out of the Kyiv region.
A was seen traveling through northeastern Ukraine. The imagery collected by the company Maxar Technologies on Friday shows hundreds of military vehicles. A researcher with the Institute for the Study of War says the convoy consists of Russian forces.
Ukraine's top prosecutor says and has a list of 500 suspects. In an interview with Sky News, Iryna Venediktova said authorities had ample evidence to back up their claims. "Almost every region in Ukraine was bombed," she said. "We have a lot of concrete facts in every region, in every city."
NATO is planning to to guard against any future Russian aggression. Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg announced the move in an interview with the Telegraph. The current small "tripwire" military presence will be replaced with a force strong enough to repel a Russian invasion.
The U.K. says Russia, prompted by "mounting losses," is looking to since 2012. The British Ministry of Defence also claims Moscow is attempting to recruit fighters from the "unrecognised Transnistria region of Moldova."
In-depth
This is after Russian troops withdrew.
From Nuremberg to Darfur, history has seen .
Some Ukrainian families with ties to the U.S. are still as they flee the violence at home.
Earlier developments
You can read , as well as and . Also, listen and subscribe to NPR's for updates throughout the day.
Copyright 2022 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.